Saturday, November 12, 2005

Quote for the Day: Schweitzer's Motives

"We can still speculate on what drove Albert Schweitzer. He once wrote: 'I live my life in God, in the mysterious divine personality which I do not know as such in the world, but only experience as mysterious Will within myself.' Someone who does not find God at large in the world may well be attracted to an otherworldly [apocalyptic] Jesus... I nonetheless remain unclear as to what extent a personal theological agenda advanced Schweitzer to his Jesus. One suspects that his otherworldly ideology was partly a product of his otherworldly Jesus [rather than the other way around]... It was the interpretation of an apparent discovery, not the motivating impulse behind that discovery." (Dale Allison, Resurrecting Jesus, pp 134-135)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home